If you have a sweet tooth, you do not have to give up desserts. Here are two easy, low-fat desserts that will not tip the scales into the red zone.
Angel Food Cake
Homemade angel food cake is a moist, light dessert that will satisfy any sweet tooth. It is easy to make and low in fat (0.01 grams).
Ingredients: (makes 16 servings – only 137 calories per serving)
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Beat egg whites into stiff peaks, then add cream of tartar, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- Sift flour, sugar, and salt together five times.
- Gently fold egg whites into dry ingredients, and then pour into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Place cake pan in a cold oven. Turn the oven on and set it to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for approximately one hour, or until cake is golden brown.
- Invert the cake and let it cool in the pan. When thoroughly cooled, remove cake from the pan.
Serve angel food cake warm or cooled topped with fresh strawberries and your favorite gelato with tasting spoons.
Ladyfingers will satisfy your afternoon slump or late night cravings. They are light and airy, fast and easy to make, and low in fat (0.04 grams).
Ingredients: (makes 48 – only 25 calories per serving)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 7/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Fit a large pastry bag with a plain 1/2 inch round tube. Line two 12 x 17 inch baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Place egg whites in bowl and beat on high until soft peaks form. Slowly add 2 tablespoons of sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy.
- Combine egg yolks and remaining sugar in a separate bowl. Beat slowly into a thick, pale-colored mixture.
- Mix flour and baking powder and sift onto a sheet of wax paper. Combine half of the beaten egg whites into the bowl of egg yolks, and then add flour and rest of egg whites.
- Fill the pastry bag with mixture. Push desired size of ladyfingers onto baking sheets, and then bake for 8 minutes.
To make chocolate ladyfingers, substitute 3/4 cup all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder for the all-purpose flour. Serve with gelato products, sorbet, low-fat ice cream or fruit.