Being away from our families is one of the toughest parts of life. Our dads are the strongest men we know, however, being away from their children hurts them just as much as it hurts us. To show dad that you care, even when you can’t be there, I have concocted a list of ways to let your father know he’s still in your heart, even though you’re far apart.
- His favorite dessert. Nothing says “I love you” more than something sugary and decadent. By sending your father’s favorite treat, it shows that you are not only thinking of him, but that you remember his likes and dislikes. Get in touch with one of the local gourmet restaurants or bakeries in your father’s area and put in a special order, or check out one of the numerous yummy selections from Cherry Moon Farms.
- Gift baskets. A lot of people mistake gift baskets as a last minute, go-to gift, but that couldn’t be farther from the truth. Pre-made gift baskets make awesome presents, but to give your gift basket present a personal touch consider creating a handpicked gift basket and fill it with all kinds of dad’s favorite goodies, whether it’s edible, useful, fun, or all of the above!
- A gift certificate to somewhere special. Perhaps you and your father have a favorite restaurant or store in his town. If so, consider sending him a gift certificate for said location. Though you may not be able to attend the outing with him, it will act as a reminder of a place that is special for the two of you. You may not be there with him in person, but you’ll be there in spirit.
- Alcohol. Whether it’s wine, whiskey, brandy, beer, vodka, or something else, you can never go wrong with the gift of good spirits! Send a bottle of your father’s favorite and he’ll think of you warmly as he knocks back a few.
- Movies. Select a few DVD’s that you think your dad would like, along with why you think he’d enjoy them. He’ll love the entertainment and appreciate that you took the time to select some things you think he’d enjoy.
- A long phone call. How long has it been since you sat down and had a long, meaningful conversation with your father? Chances are that such conversations don’t happen very often. The gift of gab is one of the most underestimated, powerful, and precious presents one can give. Make dad feel special by taking the time to just sit back and enjoy talking with him. It’ll mean more than you know.
No matter what, your dad knows you love and miss him, as distance makes the heart grow fonder. Be this as it may, a simple reminder never hurts. One of the aforementioned ideas will be a surefire way to let your pops know he’s on your mind and in your heart, regardless of how far from one another you may be.