I had Georyl via cesarean section few years ago. On my second pregnancy, we will be attempting a trial of labor for attempted vaginal birth. According to statistics, attempting a vaginal birth after cesarean section (or VBAC) will be successful 60 to 80% of the time, but this depend to the reason for the prior cesarean section.
Among the benefits of VBAC compared to planned c-section are the following:
- faster time to heal after birth
- possibly shorter hospital stay
- less risk of infection after delivery
- less chance of need for blood transfusion
- less chance of problems caused by surgery (such as infection, injury to internal organs, problems with wound, excessive blood loss)
- quicket return to normal activities
- greater chance of having vaginal birth later in pregnancies
Of course, VBAC comes with risks too (such as uterine rupture and the normal risks associated with having vaginal birth) but right now, my doctor thinks that I am at low risk (based on my medical history) so I’ll try VBAC.
Are you a mother too? Did you undergo CS and tried VBAC later on? Care to share with me your experience and what you think about my decision to try VBAC on my second pregnancy?